An authentic and classic French Walnut Cake, preferably using Perigord walnuts, the famous nuts that have their own AOC recognition (appellation d’origine contrôlée)
Preparation : 20 mins
For 8 people
300g chopped walnuts
Preheat the oven to 150 Deg. Celsius, 300 Deg F.
1. Beat the butter and sugar until the mixture turns white.
2. Mix in the the chopped walnuts, flour, eggs and rum
3. Stir the mixture vigorously.
4. Butter a cake tin (8 inch or 9 inch is fine) and fill with the mixture.
5. Cook the cake for about an hour.
When done, allow to cool at room temperature and then turn the cake out of the tin.
It is delicious on its own but even more so with custard (creme Anglaise) or with a hot chocolate sauce!
Like French cakes? Try some of these wonderful authentic French recipes:
Perfect Cherry Clafoutis recipe from Provence, it’s a classic!
Pistachio Madeleines with Chocolate Sorbet by Daniel Galmiche
Kugelhopf by Rachel Khoo of My Little Paris Kitchen
Read more about Perigord Nuts!