This might be just the thing for those of us who want to fake French with zero effort, well except for watching a 60 second video.
Oliver Gee, an Australian journalist in Paris who runs a podcast called The Earful Tower shares his top tips for how to fake French and fool everyone (maybe)…
Here’s how it goes:
- Imitate a horse
- Imitate a monk
- Randomly say Metro names
- Say putain, a French word that’s commonly heard in France
- Chuck in the word “vachements” a few times. Literally it translates as cow-ly, as in “like a cow” but it means “really”.
- Say “du coup” – no one knows what it means, not even the French but they say it a lot.
- Sprinkle a few “bah” sounds into your fake French attempt, this doesn’t mean anything either but you’ll hear it in French conversation all the time.
- Say “oh la la” – but add a few more la la’s, the more la’s the more intense the meaning as in OMG!
If you’re wondering what I’m on about, check out the very funny how to fake French video Oliver made: https://theearfultower.com/2018/01/18/video-eight-tips-for-how-to-fake-french/
PS It works, I tried it 😉