High-speed cross-Channel train operator Eurostar has announced it will launch direct services from London to the southern French port city of Marseille from May 1 2015…
Eurostar, which celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2014 is going from strength to strength and in 2013 carried 10 million passengers in a single year for the first time,. This landmark achievement brought the total number of passengers who have travelled with Eurostar since operations began to an impressive 140 million.
Eurostar London to south of France direct
High-speed cross-Channel train operator Eurostar will launch direct services from London to the southern French port city of Marseille from May 1 next year. The train will make stops at Lyon in eastern France and Avignon. It will take four and a half hours to Lyon, six hours to Avignon and about six hours and 15 minutes to Marseille.
Lyon is widely regarded as France’s gastronomic capital while Avignon hosts the country’s best known theatre festival in July. Marseille is an ancient, multicultural city and was once the main port France. Adding these stops to the Eurostar itinerary direct from London will open up the south of France in an easily accessible and comfortable journey.
The return journey to London will take an hour longer due to immigration and customs formalities that will take place in the northern city of Lille. Britain is not part of the European Union’s visa-free Schengen zone.
Some facts about Eurostar:
- Each Eurostar train is 400m long – 99m longer than the Eiffel Tower is tall.
- The amount of time spent in the Channel Tunnel is only 18 minutes.
- Independent research commissioned by Eurostar showing that per passenger journey, travelling by Eurostar between London and Paris or Brussels generates up to 80% fewer carbon dioxide emissions than travelling by plane.
- There are 750 seats on each train, which is almost the same number as on two Boeing 747 planes.
- Each train weighs 800 tonnes and generate 16,408 bhp – the equivalent of 20 Formula 1 racing cars.
First tickets for the new service will go on sale from December 2014…
Website for Eurostar: www.eurostar.com