Flammekueche or Tarte flambée is a well-known speciality of the north of France. It’s a thin crust pizza baked in a very hot oven made primarily with crème fraîche, onions, and bacon but you can add toppings of your choice. There are many ways of preparing it but this is a simple and easy recipe.
How to make Flammekueche
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
Ingredients for 4 people
Bread or pizza dough – 500g
2 tablespoons oil (olive or vegetable)
2 onions, finely chopped
15cl crème fraîche (sour cream will work if you can’t get crème fraîche)
200g bacon (smoked streaky or fatty) cut into pieces bout an inch wide
15cl fromage blanc (cream cheese will do)
Salt, pepper and nutmeg
1. Heat the oven to 270°C/Gas Mark 9
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a non stick pay, add the onion and cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until golden brown then let it cool down.
3. Mix the crème fraîche and fromage blanc, add a little salt, pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg and the cooled onion.
4. Heat the remaining oil in the pan and fry the bacon until lightly browned.
5. Roll the dough thinly and place on an oiled baking sheet
6. Spread the onion mixture over the dough and add the slices of bacon, leave the edges of the dough base clear (makes holding it in your fingers to eat easier!).
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes – the onions should look golden and the edge of the bread should be crisp but not too dry.