This recipe is from a very old book about the cooking of Alsace. Alsace is famous for its French cuisine and many of the ancient styles and dishes are still really popular today. It is obvious why these are called Little Ladies Legs or in French – Petites cuisses de dames!
They cakes have a donut type texture to them and are great when you want to offer your guests something a little bit different but steeped in French history.
350g plain flour
200g caster sugar
125g powdered almonds
Desert spoon Kirsch
Pinch of salt
Pinch of cinnamon
Grated peel of one lemon
Spoon of orange-blossom water (optional)
1. Beat sugar and eggs together to get a fairly thick constituency.
2. Add the flour, melted butter, almonds, salt and kirsh.
3. Knead well and leave the dough to rest for about 2 hours.
4. Cut the dough into strips about 10cm long and roll on a board into little sausages about the thickness of a finger.
5. Brown them in warm (not hot) oil and dust with icing sugar.