Great French recipe for potato soup – a lovely classic dish and it’s so simple to make you’ll wonder why you ever bothered to buy ready made from the shops when it’s this easy to make something delicious, that reflects French cuisine at its best and you can do at home in a jiffy. The nutmeg gives it a slightly mysterious taste and you can use cream or milk to thicken the soup as you prefer.
French potato soup – ingredients for four people
1 large onion
A little oil
Sprig of fresh parsley
Small tub of cream or crème fraiche (you can use milk if you prefer something with less calories)
1 ½ litres of chicken stock or water
Salt and pepper to season
A little grated nutmeg
Some bread croutons
1. Peel and chop the onions and then fry in a little oil, then chop the leek and add to the oil and season.
2. Peel and thinly slice the potatoes and put the slices on top of the onions and leek slices.
3. Cover the vegetables with some of the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes
4. Pour the rest of the stock into the pan, add the parsley and cook on a medium heat for 30 minutes.
5. Puree the soup in a blender and then add the cream (or milk), season, add a knob of butter and the grated nutmeg
Serve the soup hot with croutons…