For the chocolate shavings in the recipe I used good quality dark chocolate, but use what suits you best – perhaps a mixture of dark and milk or even white chocolate. This is an easy recipe for chocolate scones and takes about 10 minutes to prepare.
Ingredients for chocolate scones
225g Plain Flour
3 tsp Baking Powder
25 g Butter or Margarine
1 g Salt
1 heaped tsp Caster Sugar
3 heaped tsp Chocolate Powder
50 g Chocolate Shavings
150 ml Milk
Cream or Milk for glaze
Pre heat the oven to Gas Mk 7/220C/425F
1. Sift flour, salt and baking powder into bowl. Rub in the cubed butter or margarine.
2. Add sugar, chocolate powder and chocolate shavings.
3. Mix with milk to form a soft, but not sticky, dough.
4. Roll into thickness of about 1 cm on a floured board. Cut into rounds with a fluted cutter and place on a greased baking tray.
5. Brush the tops with cream or milk and bake for about 10 minutes until cooked. Place on a wire rack to cool.
Best eaten fresh in the “Black Forest” way with whipped cream and cherries!