Everything You Want to Know About France and More...

Removals to France post Brexit – your questions answered

Now that the UK is no longer part of the EU, additional documentation is required by Customs when you make the move from the UK to France and take your belongings with you.

What paperwork do I need to provide for moving to France?

Because the BREXIT deal was done so late, it didn’t start well. On January 1st neither the British nor French Customs officers really knew what documentation to ask for. It took several days for the correct paperwork to be established. Now the process is much smoother but the paperwork requirement is significant.

Copy of their passport picture page

Detailed inventory of all the items being moved , with values in EUROS.

Proof of residence in France (a lease agreement or property purchase contract).

Attestation de Domicile (this is issued by the local Marie/townhall).

Proof you have been living in the UK for the past 12 months (this could be a utility bill, tax document etc).

For French clients, they will need to provide a “Certificate de Changement de residence” which will be issued by their nearest  French Embassy or Consulate.

Are there any import taxes and duties that I now need to pay when I move to France?

There is no import tax, duty or VAT to pay on used household goods and personal effects, as long as those relocating have:

Lived outside of France for more than 12 months.

Owned everything being imported for more than 6 months.

Do not sell any of these items in France.

Import goods within 12 months of their permanent arrival in France.

Scroll to Top