The perfect side dish for a barbecue, these roasted tomatoes from Provence call for a glass of chilled rosé and some delicious grilled meat or fish. They also use herbs that are classic in southern France, and often called herbes de Provence in France.
Prep time: 5 minutes • Cook time: 20 minutes • Serves 4
8 medium round tomatoes, sliced in half
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly
4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
4 tablespoons bread crumbs
4 tablespoons finely chopped
2 tablespoons thyme
1 tablespoon olive oil
How to make Provence style tomatoes
1. Add the salt, and the pepper to the tomatoes. Place them on a large plate with the seasoned-side down so the water soaks out. Set aside for 15 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, combine the garlic with the bread crumbs, parsley, and thyme.
3. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
4. Place a sheet of parchment paper over a baking sheet. Then place the halved tomatoes on the parchment paper. Using a tablespoon, place the herb and garlic mixture over each tomato. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top.
5. Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the tomatoes and put in the oven for 20 minutes.
Le Petit Truc (top tip): This recipe can also be made in a nonstick skillet. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over moderate heat, then place the halved tomatoes inside facing the bottom for 2 minutes. Flip them back, add the parsley and garlic, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Pairing: Pair with a glass of chilled rosé.
Cecile Delarue is the author of Voila! Effortless French Cookbook which is available from Amazon. Cecile is the creator of the food blog French and Parfait, where she shares her tried-and-true French recipes, as well as her tips for creating elegant French meals on the average American dime.